Saturday, July 15, 2006

More Puerto Viejo


This morning I went for my 6 a.m. run on Playa Negro followed by a quick swim. As I was getting out of the water, I realized I had not zipped the pocket that was holding the key to my bike lock. I walked over to Peter's, the Austrian guy we've rented from. He gave me a huge bag of keys, (he said there are about 80 that fit the locks) and a hack saw. After trying about 50 keys, one actually worked. Peter will charge me 1000 colones (less than $2) for the new key when I return the bikes.

We are exchanging a dollar for 512 colones. Last year I think it was about 490, but prices seem all the same. We may catch a bus down to Manzanillo (the end of the coastal road about 7 miles south) in a couple days to stay a night or 2. There is a nice snorkeling beach there, and a national reserve jungle of sorts extending pretty much to the border. We may also catch the bus to the border and head down to Bocas del Toro in Panama. I feel no pressure to go anywhere or do anything.

BTW--the photo is of Shar buying a small (travel-sized) pina (pineapple)at the Puerto Viejo Farmer's Market this a.m. We also got oranges, peppers, tomato, and some organic chocolate from a guy who made it.

No comments: