Monday, July 20, 2009

Negotiations

I've entered into negotiations with an elderly gentleman we have seen here around town. Last spring he was constructing a hexagonal weave fence from cane using a machete. He agreed then to make me a basket, but I think my timing was off. He had just finished the fence job and was probably in no need of money. This morning he told me he has gathered the cane and will begin fixing it. Im sleep on de porch at de soda roun' de corner fron de chinee. We'll see if our stay here is long enough for me to purchase a basket from a basketmaker. This old man is the only person I've seen in the area here making this type of cane weaving. Like so many things, the traditional crafts have been replaced by plastic substitutes. When they start charging for each plastic bag in the market, there may not be any basketmakers left to step up to the plate.
-Sharle

No comments: