Saturday, July 14, 2007


While drinking coffee in front of our room this morning I looked down and saw this individual laying on the tiles a meter away from me, shaking and apparently stunned. I figured he had flown into the wall or screened window. I called over to the young woman from Venezuela who was laying in the hammock in front of her room. She started snapping pictures. So Shar told me to get our camera. (I should have done it at a much higher resolution, but it gives you an idea. It's either a rufous tailed or steely something or other hummingbird (Rolf has lent us one of his two copies of the huge Birds of Costa Rica) We also checked out an immature common black hawk who has been making a lot of noise while hanging out around us, and a couple of palm tanagers. The usual visitors in the neighborhood, include Passerini's tanagers, black vultures, some unknown doves and many other unidentified species.

Th night before last I got to play with Junior, the old Calypsonian, again. Afterwards he invited Shar & I to visit him at his house up in Home Creek. We may take him up on that. I may go play with The Survivors tonight even though Lenny is no longer with them. I got the banjo back from him to give to Django. I hope things are okay with it all. I saw the rythm box player, Elario, on the street the other day, and asked about the situation with Lenny. He told me the story and said, "Im no speak we no more."

1 comment:

Steve said...

glad to hear you're having a good time. can i assume the bird shook off the headache and flew away? nice photo even at low res.
wow. you're starting to have a regular complicated social scene there!
cheers, steve l.