Monday, June 26, 2006

Sequim's Finest: Ignore a STOP and cream a cyclist? . . . Hey--no problem!

Well I hope this little chapter of our lives is over. Shar's been on crutches for the past 4 days, babying her leg in preparation for the trip. I'll summarize the Kafka-esque experience we've had in dealing with the events. (The details are actually even more bizarre, but who has time to type or read them?) The guy who ran Shar down was not given a citation for doing so. After a couple of days, several phone calls & a visit to the Sequim Police Department we finally got a chance to talk on the phone to the perky young officer who filed the accident report. We asked a few simple obvious questions. Her only response was "I was just doing what I was told to do." We were told to call back 2 days later when the Sergeant came back to work. We talked to him this morning. He said the decision to cite the driver was at the investigating officer's discretion. I told him that the "investigating officer" (who by the way had never bothered to speak to either Shar or myself during the "investigation") had told us on the phone that she was just doing what he had told her to do. We never got anywhere with him. The upshot: It's open season on bicylists. You can hit them and--hey why even bother to stop? I mean if they ride a bike, they probably don't believe in invading other countries for oil and other stuff like that, so just run 'em down.

Since the accident I've been running alone in the mornings, we're not biking to town. Kari (Shar's long-time personal physician) told us that Shar may have permanent damage to her knee. This past spring Shar ran in 4 races after completing cancer treatment. 3 weeks ago she ran the entire Olympic Discovery Half-Marathon (13.1 miles). I really hope I have not lost my running/biking/hiking buddy.

We'll have a good trip. I'm going to try to get Shar to see if she can switch from crutches to a cane this evening. We'll see.

No comments: