Thursday, June 22, 2006


Okay folks,
I was not going to post anything until we had embarked on said journey, but I feel today’s events warranted a note. We rode bikes into town to do some errands in preparation for our trip. We were heading east on Washington, (main drag of Sequim). After I crossed 2nd I heard Shar yell and a split second afterwards I heard an impact. I knew immediately someone had hit Shar at the intersection before I even turned around. I know a lot of you who may read this are bike riders, and I admonish you to drive incredibly defensively when you are on your bikes. Newton’s laws tell us it is all quite academic who has right of way when an object weighing 30 times more than you strikes your leg. You lose. The short story is that as of now, Shar doesn’t seem to have broken bones, but may have contusions, torn ligaments etc. In any case she is not walking.

The 30-yr.-old male who ran her down--cracking her helmet, (yes there's a reason we wear them) ruining the new high tech prescription glasses she just treated herself to, and doing as yet unknown damage to her bike--did not have insurance or a valid driver's license. I could go into my experience with the two police, one sheriff, and two EMT vehicles, and the countless number of personnel associated with these vehicles whose reason for being there seemed to be to stand around & talk amongst themselves, (Perhaps if I owned a TV I could have joined in their conversations.) but there really is nothing to say. After I got Shar home she complimented me on my politeness to everyone on the scene, including the gentleman who T-boned her. (Please do not spread this around—I have a reputation to maintain--thanks.)

It’s okay. It could have been much worse. I feel guilt for not having somehow prevented it. Our plans are still on track. Anyway it doesn’t look like Shar will be wearing a cast with her bikini.

No comments: